The transition from primary to secondary school
Applying for Secondary School 2020/2021
Find out how to apply, or how to respond to an offer you've received.
If your child was born between 1 September 2008 and 31 August 2009, or is in year 6 for the 2020-2021 school year, you must apply for a secondary school place for September 2021.
The deadline for on-time applications was midnight on Saturday 31st October 2020.
If you have not applied already, you still need to do so online for your child to start secondary school in September 2020. This form will be counted as a late application and will be processed after 1st March 2020. Secondary National Offer Day is Monday 1st March 2021.
For more information, please visit: https://www.lambeth.gov.uk/school-admissions%20
Transitioning from Primary to Secondary school is a time of excitement and anxiety for both children and parents. New surroundings, new friends, new challenges, and new choices are all on offer as your child opens the door on the first days of school.
So, how can you help prepare them for the first day - and the years to follow - and make the transition easier for both of you?
Top tips for kids starting secondary school
- Encourage your child to be organised. Get them to pack their bag, pencil case, etc the night before so they don't have to worry in the morning.
- Remind them never be afraid to ask for help, or talk to someone they trust, like you or their tutor if they’re concerned about anything.
- Suggest they make the first effort to make new friends.
- First impressions last a long time, so encourage them to make sure theirs are good ones – for organisation, presentation, and behaviour!
- Encourage them to make the most of all the new opportunities. They will have the chance to try out new clubs and activities.
- Help them to find out about the layout of the school, and learn where classrooms are (and the toilets!)
- Remind them to find out what their timetable is, what time they need to be at school, and what time they can go home.
- Make sure they know what uniform they need, and what to bring in for sport.
- Encourage them to enjoy it! Making new friends and learning new things is exciting. Remind them that everyone else is in the same boat, so they should just aim to have a good time!